Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Ideas
There are a lot of varied ways of saving money and using homemade products is one of them. Dishes and utensils are important household items and cleaning them properly is a major task. With numerous options available among washing detergents homemade dishwasher detergents are now being preferred. Washing the dishes with a homemade detergent can save you a lot of money and is safer for the environment while being and effective.
The advantages of homemade products
As there are two sides of every coin, homemade products have advantages and disadvantage, both. However, the value and benefits that these products offer are far more than the drawbacks. The advantages are as following:
- Environment friendly products: Protecting the environment is a major concern today. Using homemade products can help you in making that little difference towards the betterment of the environment.
- Knowledge of the ingredients of the products: The products which are available in the market do not provide the description of its exact components. By using homemade products you get to know the ingredients which are being used.
- Effective results: Sometimes the products which are available in the market do not provide the promised results. Using homemade products can give you effective results. This happens because these can be customized for specific use or purpose by change in the ingredients.
The components of a homemade dishwasher detergent
The major components of many homemade dish washing powders are the following:
- Washing soda
- Citric acid
- White vinegar (which can be used as a rinsing agent)
The method of using such a detergent is fairly simple. The quantity of the ingredients would be one-part of each ingredient, mixed with a dry spatula. Here are some general instructions which can help you:
- Mix all the ingredients in equal quantities and keep it in an air tight container.
- Use the amount according to the number of utensils.
- You can also add drops of liquid dishwasher to the powder to add that extra boost to your washing process.
- Adding white vinegar for rinsing effect in the dishwasher is also recommend.
The 3 popular types of homemade dish washing detergents
- Powered detergent:
The ingredients of this detergent are the following:
- 1 cup of Borax
- 1 cup of washing soda
- Half cup of kosher salt
- Half cup of citric acid
Mix all the components and use only 1 tablespoon of this powder to wash the dishes. You can add white vinegar if you want to get rid of the smell and this also helps in cleaning the stains.
- Lemon scented detergent:
The components of this type of detergent are the following:
- 2 cups of borax
- 2 cups of washing powder or baking soda
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
Mix all the components and store it in an air tight container. Use only 2 spoons of this powder to wash the dishes.
- Quick dish washing detergent:
The ingredients of this type of detergent are the following:
- 1 spoon borax
- 1 spoon washing soda
- 2 spoons of water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Mix all the ingredients and directly put it in the dishwasher or to use. This type is mainly for those times when you don’t have any kind of washing powder and you have just few dishes to wash.
Storing the homemade powders
It is very important that you store the homemade detergents in an air-tight container. This is to avoid the components to react with the air or moisture. We don’t want the mixture to become clumpy or sticky.
Next also make sure you don’t use a wet spoon in the powder during use. This could degrade the unused detergent by adding moisture to it.
Additionally, also make sure that you keep the detergent in an opaque jar. The sunlight can sometimes reduce the strength of the ingredients by degradation.
The effectiveness of homemade dish washing powder
Some of you might think that making a detergent at home will not be good enough. But in recent times people have started using natural products mainly to avoid the harsh chemicals which are being used in regular products.
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Final Thoughts
Making products at homeis very effective and is slowly gaining popularity. You can use this powder while washing dishes by hand and also in a dish washing machine. The technique to use these detergents is same as any normal washing powder. It is not only skin-safe but it also gives a good fragrance and can clean any kind of stains. The most important thing is that it makes you self-sufficient; you can be the judge of the components of this powder. Going natural has become a recent trend. Use of such a product is a good, pocket-friendly and a healthy option.